In the last of my wedding themed blog posts, I wanted to share my top tips to keep in mind when shopping for your wedding dress. If you’re anything like me, it’ll not only be one of the most expensive items of clothing you’ll ever purchase, but probably also the most important outfit you’ll ever wear, so I wanted to arm you with some practical and handy tips for this special experience!
1. Firstly, the practical tips. Wear nude underwear on the day, take a pair of heels with you to try on with the dresses and if possible, do your hair and makeup so you feel great. It’s quite hard to imagine what a dress will look like on your actual wedding day whilst standing on a box in a store, so by doing your hair similarly to how you imagine on your wedding day, you’ll be able to get a better feel for if you like it! *Bear in mind some wedding dress stores might ask for no foundation/makeup to prevent makeup on the dresses, although I never had a problem with this!
2. Do some research beforehand (Pinterest is your best friend) to see what kind of styles you like – wether that’s lace, fishtail, princess or beaded. Make a note of the rough themes and styles you like as this can be a great starting point for you when you first go into a store.
3. Keep these styles in mind, but I’d really encourage you to try on some dresses that you hadn’t originally considered. It’s hard to explain but you’ll often be surprised at what you feel great in and often it’s totally different to what you originally imagined!
4. I would highly encourage you to try and leave any insecurities at the door and to just have fun who trying to find your dress! I had body insecurities at my appointments but I didn’t want to let fear of my bingo wings ruin such a special day, so I tried not to focus on them and instead focused on the beautiful dresses I was trying on and having fun with my mum instead!
5. Take someone with you that you know will be honest and have fun with…
6. …but bear in mind that ultimately the decision is down to you! It’s how you feel in each dress which is most important, so don’t get sucked into getting a dress just because your pals said it’s their fav!
7. If you find a couple of dresses you love, definitely ask to try and veil and hold some flowers whilst wearing it (most stores will have a veil and fake bouquets) as it really helps to again imagine how the whole look could come together on the day!
8. My final tip would be, if possible, to book a few different dress appointments on one day. This is much easier if you live in a city like London, but it just means you can make a proper day of it. I booked four appointments around London in one day, scheduling time for tea, lunch, drinks between each appointment so my mum and I could make a day of it! Safe to say, we were knackered by the end of the day, but I did find my dress at the final appointment!
I hope this blog post has helped you! If you’re about to go dress shopping remember to enjoy it! It’s so exciting!
Let me know if you have any other tips to add in here!
I hope you’ve enjoyed my wedding blog posts! Lots of love to you all,